Parchment Exchange(TM) Service Agreement (for Students / Parents) :
Parchment Inc. ("Parchment") is pleased to offer you the use of Parchment Exchange (the "Service") to deliver your academic transcripts to the colleges, universities, and other destinations of your choice on the following terms and conditions. By selecting the "Accept Agreement" button below, you agree to the following terms and conditions. If you do not complete the online information below or if you do not agree with these terms and conditions, you may not use the Service. The Service operates in compliance with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act ("FERPA") (20 U.S.C. Section 1232(g)). If you are under the age of eighteen (18) years, your parent must agree to and submit the registration form for the Service.
1. PERMISSION. Upon your successful registration with Parchment, you will provide an email address and a user-selected password. In some cases, you will also have the opportunity to create an optional username. Your must use your email address or username and password combination in all of your communications with Parchment, and you are responsible for all actions taken for the use of your login credentials. By using the Service you hereby grant Parchment the following rights: A) to obtain your academic transcripts from your academic institution; B) to send your academic transcripts to the destinations of your choice (i.e., those identified in an instruction using your email address or username and password combination).
2. PARENTAL CONSENT/COMPLIANCE WITH FERPA. Generally, FERPA requires schools to obtain written permission from the parent before releasing any information from the records of a secondary student less than eighteen (18) years of age. Once the student reaches eighteen (18) years of age, or is attending an institution of postsecondary education, the permission or consent of the parent is no longer required and the parent is not entitled to authorize release of such information. If you are a high school student (under the age of 18), you must have your parent or guardian register for you unless the high school has granted you an exception. In addition, if you live in a State that requires a parent or legal guardian to agree to this Agreement, you must have your parent or legal guardian agree to this Agreement on your behalf in compliance with your State's laws. You agree that all information you provide to Parchment, including your age and the identity of the party agreeing on your behalf, will be true and accurate, and you will hold harmless, protect and indemnify Parchment and its customer schools from any damages that may result from any and all inaccurate or untrue data that you provide. When you (or your parent, if necessary) agree to this Agreement, you agree that it shall serve as your (or your parent's, if necessary) written agreement and consent under FERPA. If this Agreement is entered into by the student (rather than the parent), you hereby represent that you are over eighteen (18) years of age or are a postsecondary student.
3. FEES. The Service may require you to pay a processing fee for each requested transmission of your academic transcript, as set forth on the Web site.
5. DISCLAIMERS. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED HEREIN, THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. PARCHMENT MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES AND DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES REGARDING THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, TIMELINESS, ABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE, ACCURACY, OR LOSS OF DATA. Parchment has no influence over the application processes used by colleges and universities and makes no representations that your use of the Service will increase your chances of being accepted by any particular college or university.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. PARCHMENT WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR INDIRECT DAMAGES, EVEN IF PARCHMENT HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. PARCHMENT'S TOTAL LIABILITY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, WILL NOT EXCEED THE GREATER OF THE AMOUNTS PAID BY YOU TO PARCHMENT HEREUNDER OR FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00). THE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY CONTAINED IN THIS AGREEMENT ARE A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF THE BASIS OF EACH PARTY'S BARGAIN HEREUNDER. NO ACTION MAY BE BROUGHT AGAINST PARCHMENT UNDER THIS AGREEMENT LATER THAN ONE YEAR AFTER THE OCCURRENCE OF THE INCIDENT GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM.
7. GENERAL. Parchment is the exclusive owner of the Service and all constituent parts thereof and all intellectual property rights therein. Parchment shall also own any comments, feedback, suggestions or ideas you disclose submit or offer to Parchment in connection with your use of the Service and any Parchment Web site. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or create derivative works of the Service or any of its constituent parts. Except as may be otherwise stated or incorporated herein, this Agreement constitutes the complete and exclusive understanding and agreement of the parties relating to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior negotiations, communications, understanding and agreements among the parties. This Agreement may only be modified in a writing or electronic communication signed (or using user name and password combination) by both parties. This Agreement does not create any employment, partnership or other similar or special relationship between the parties. You are solely responsible for any expenses, claims, lawsuits or damages arising out of your acts. If any provision of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable or invalid, the provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the remaining provisions of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Arizona without reference to its conflicts of law principles, and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located in Maricopa County, Arizona. Any notice required or permitted to be given under this Agreement shall be delivered by email to the other party at the email addresses provided, and if to Parchment a confirming copy of such notices must also be sent by registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, return receipt requested, to Parchment at the address first set forth on the home page of Parchment's Web site. Notice so given shall be deemed effective when received, or if not received by reason of fault of the addressee, when delivered. You may not assign or transfer your rights or obligations under this Agreement.
8. PARCHMENT EXCHANGE'S CUSTOMER CONTACT. If you have any questions concerning these terms and conditions, or if you would like to contact Parchment for any other reason, please email our customer service department.
Please print a copy of this Agreement for your records and store it in a safe place.